PDA

View Full Version : Shifter??

motovate
03-17-2009, 02:34 AM
New to "T" Buckets and just got a new to me Bucket. As soon as I got into it the shifter which looks like it might be out of a mustang - (it's all Ford) hits me big time in the middle of my knee. It's gotta be changed, moved or something, I was wondering how and where people generally install the automatic shifter. If anyone knew of a short handle shifter - seems like a real problem but I couldn't find much in the way of posts.

Thanks - LBM:confused::D:eek:

Duke
03-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Checkout Lokar or Speedway, I think Spirit sells shifters also. I would also look at Jegs and Summit Racing.

Phoenixmsb
03-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Yes, check out the Lokar company. They make a 6" tall shift lever that would really help you OR get on Jeg's site and check what they have to offer.

:cool:

motovate
03-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks - that 6" shifter sounds like it might do the trick. I was just wondering what other's were using. I like the looks of the long levers but it seems like they are also problemmatic. I'm thinking too that I might need to build the Seat frame up higher and that might help with the angle of my legs for the brake and the throttle.

Just got it so it is a new experience.

LBM:D

rwd95v
03-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I have the Lokar 8 inch in my 27. No issues.

motovate
03-29-2009, 03:12 AM
: :cool:Thanks to all who answered. Does any one know if just the shifter handle can generally be replaced or shortened on factory shifters?? My T has a Ford - looks like probably a mustang shifter handle that is just too tall. Can I just replace it with the shorter lokar handle or am I looking at replacing the entire shifter to work with the shorter shifters?????? I guessed I had to replace the entire shifter/handle set up.

Thanks LBM

GT63
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Don't forget about Gennie Shifter. I like it better than Lokar, it has a gated shift pattern instead of Lokars push button to shift. It's easier to switch out shift knobs too.

motovate
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks - trying this again - I've posted a couple of times but don't seem to make it through.

Anyone know if the short Lokar shifter handles will fit a stock Ford floor shifter or if the is a way to cut them down a bit??

Thanks.

LBM:confused:

milt
07-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Just finished changing from a 18" Lokar shifter to a 6" ... could not get the 18" to work ... not enough leg room. Change took me about 45 minutes ... would have been faster, but kept dropping those little 3/8" screws and I did it without pulling the body back off.