PDA

View Full Version : 23 T with 48 ford front axel questions

shaky
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Does or has any 1 here built a t with a 48 ford front axel,, stock 48 spindles are there ,, are there disc brake rotors that will fit the spindals as well as calipers, any help wud go a long way here as I am a first time T builder Thanx in advance Shaky:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

B.C.
08-02-2007, 10:09 AM
There is a bearing adapter that presses on the spindle and allows you to put on GM rotors and calipers. There is a brake kit available we have it and so do several other manufactures.
As for the axle most T's are set up spring behind the axle to get the bucket lower. You need to build the brackets and weld them to the axle. I have heard that welding brackets on an I beam axle is not safe but I have seen it done many times and never heard of a problem. I have learned to never believe what I see, hear, or read with out a question. I'm curious what others think about welding on an I beam?

23Tzer
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
I've always been leary of welding bracket on an I-beam axle but then I don't claim to be a welder either. I know PA does it and hasn't had any problems.

shaky
08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
:confused: I work in a metal fab factory,, wE MAKE cAT bIGGER bOBO CATS,AND THERE LIFT ARMS AS WELL wE ALSO MAKE LOADERS FOR CASE/NEW HOLLAND , AS WELL AS JOHN DEERE,, WE USE ALOT OT CAST PARTS AND WELD THEM EVERY DAY,, I WOULDNT HESITATE BOYS AND GIRLS. SHAKY TAKE CARE :confused: :D :D :D

tfeverfred
08-18-2007, 02:47 PM
LOL Shaky, that was hard to read. Can you use a larger font size?:D

boorod
08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi, check with Speedway. These guys build all the hard to find parts, we seem to want to use. Boorod

tadpoledotnet
07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Does or has any 1 here built a t with a 48 ford front axel,, stock 48 spindles are there ,, are there disc brake rotors that will fit the spindals as well as calipers, any help wud go a long way here as I am a first time T builder Thanx in advance Shaky:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi, I wouldn't weld anything on a typical stock solid front axle unless the part being welded was fitted over the axle in a manner that would carry the weight of whatever the part was for. This is kinda/sorta related....my cousin gave me an old horse-drawn plow to modify and use behind my John Deere tractor. He cautioned me about welding anything to curved bar the plow point attaches to. He strongly recommended that I clamp brackets, etc. on instead. We welded a long piece of 3/8 inch flat plate in the recess of the 'I' beam axle on our stock car in the mid 50's. But it was done to add stiffness to the axle and nothing was bolted to the plate.
tadpole

tadpoledotnet
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I've always been leary of welding bracket on an I-beam axle but then I don't claim to be a welder either. I know PA does it and hasn't had any problems.

Ha...I responded to the wrong message.....check the one about using disc brakes on a '48 front end.
tadpole