View Full Version : Registration question

der Spieler
06-12-2009, 09:12 AM
How does one meet the MSO requirement when the builder has built his own chassis?

06-12-2009, 10:52 AM
MSO means Manufactures Statement of Origin. If you build the frame your the manufacture so make your own MSO if you need one. Spirit has our world manufacture identifier number which is issued by the Federal government and that allows us to issue the 17 digit VIN#.
I spend a good part of my time making sure Spirit owners can get there cars registered in there State. It seems no two States are the same and no State that I have found is in agreement with the Feds. (I love this country if we could only figure out a way to get rid of the the parasites in the Government that are sucking the life blood out of us we would be just fine.)
In Ar. we have passed a street rod bill for titling if you don't have one in your state try working with one of your legislators to get a S.E.M.A. type bill passed. If you find a sympathetic legislator S.E.M.A will be glad to help.

der Spieler
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
They passed the streetrod bill here in Iowa but no one seems to knw what it really is. Some of the aspects of the SEMA model were adopted but it appears that not all of them were. As I read our new regulations, that go into effect 1 July, the only change that I can see here from our original law is that we can now register a car as the year it represents. The language in the model that restricts driving to shows and cruises doesn't appear to have made it into the new regulations. Of course anything is subject to change and interpretation. I'm purposely delaying the start of any projects until I find out what changes are actually going into effect.

Everyone seems to think the adoption of the SEMA model by state legislatures is a boon to the hobby. I guess that's fine if you are building a trailer queen or a show car but my cars are daily drivers. The language in the model seems to want to restrict that. I think SEMA wrote their model as a compromise to appease the anti-hobby faction in our state governments and in doing so they compromised the enjoyment I would have had if nothing had been changed. If I can't enjoy my car as I see fit then there is no sense in building one.

As far as creating my own MSO goes, I have seen the forms listed for sale online but there are a lot of things I don't understand about them. I guess I will have to break down and find the inspector and ask the right questions. Being a guy I hate asking for directions.

Thanks, B.C., for your reply.

06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I worked very closely with the AR bill and any cars I build for myself I will get titled in AR as the year they appear instead of titling it as an 09 Spirit.

10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
i got mine done real easy. i used the spirit vin that i got and had my plates the same day. but it was titled an 07 spirit. they passed a law here in indiana that if your vehicle is 25 years old and older you can get it registered as antique and use a license plate from the year the vehicle is. i went back to the license branch and they applied for me a new vin number. i got it 2 weeks later with new number and title. now i have a matched set of 1923 indiana plates on my t. of course i had to have the city police do a vin check and a state polics do a vin check before they would register it, but that wasnt a problem.