View Full Version : Fiberglass body questions...

02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Several questions regarding fiberglass bodies.

1) Several things that I've read on the internet lead me to understand that fiberglass bodies cure over time and exposure to heat (i.e. exposure to the sun) and that bodies can deform and even suffer from the glass layer seperating. Is this true? If so is it an issue for all bodies or is it more to do with how it was manufactured?

2) Most of the kits/bodies I've looked at online are available with one door. Is there a structural reason for this? Can I put two doors in my 23T body?

3) What about internal wood supports? From what I've read online some do and some don't. I understand that Spirit's body with the insert doesn't need wood bracing but I plan on not using an insert so I'll need wood bracing to attach interior panels to. But I was thinking of having the interior covered with Line-X. Has anyone tried that? Does anyone have any thoughts on something like that?

Thanks, sorry for the long post but I've got a ton of questions.

02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
i know that glass bodies will start to fall apart after time,my body was moved around from one shed to another for a few years before i got it and it had started to seperate at the firewall but i believe it was because the gelcoat had dried out. i have reglassed the problem area and primed it with a good filler primer when i finish blocksanding it i will give it a heavy coat of epoxy primer to reseal it ( i hope that will work). but i do know for a fact if glass bodies are left in the gelcoat they will dry out and delaminate ,i dont know how long it will take for this to happen but it happened to mine.

03-27-2010, 09:28 AM
My '27 body was made in 1968 and only has some small spider webs in the get coat.

03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
(1) yes the resin that holds the glass together will shrink as it cures. There are different types of resin with different shrink rates. The answer to this question is quite extensive to give the full answer
(2) Yes there is more flex in the firewall with 2 doors. The biggest reason is there is little room to get in around the steering wheel so the it is easier to get in the passenger side.
(3)We do use wood reinforcement when we install the door.