View Full Version : Steeing column question

02-16-2010, 08:04 AM
All the spirit cars I see use a tilt column. I am building a old school bucket and I would like to use a non tilt, skinny column. Anyone do this? What length would I need?

02-16-2010, 09:06 AM
speedway motors offers a nice slim non tilt column, it measures 1 3/4'' but has no turn signals, but they also have aftermarket turn signal switches that clamp on. should be the look your after. their cheap too! i got one for my bucket and it is a well built piece. the length you will need will depend on the position of your steering box and where the steering wheel would be compfortable to your reach. hope this helps

02-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Rookie that is exactly what I am after. Why does spirit use 2" shaft? I am using their vega box, how about the part that connects steering column to steering box?

02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
the hotrod column from speedway uses a 3/4" DD u-joint, they offer the right one for your vega box, it should be 5/8''-36 spline to 3/4'' DD and their about 60 bucks. I'm not sure about the 2'' shaft tho,and spirit may have the u-joint you need avaliable as well, B.C. would be the man to help you with that. dont wanna step on any toes here , just wanna help you get the look your after.

02-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I have steel toe gym shoes. As far as a U joint we have or can get whatever you need. Spirit does not do much random part you figure it out your self stuff. We focus our efforts on making the most well engineered complete kit on the market. In doing that we are also the most cost competitive in the industry .

02-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Kev93....take a look in my galleries. There should be some good pictures of my Speedway column, column drop, and wheel on my 27.

Works very well, but not for a very large person. I have a removeable wheel that helps. I liked the looks and it was what I wanted. I did not want the tilt wheel.

Let me know if you need more info.

02-18-2010, 04:08 PM
rwd95v I can't find a pic of the steering column in your gallery. Am I just missing it? Thanks

02-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Kev93...they are actually under a second gallery. rwd95v2. You can search under gallery. About the middle of page 3.

I had to hunt myself. I can send you some photos, but there are some on here, they are just in the other gallery.

Let me know.

06-03-2010, 07:40 AM
For my Spirit 27 T, I went with the column that was mentioned - the Speedway 1 3/4" x 32" one. Whatever column you get, 1 3/4", 2" doesn't matter - all the ends where the U-joints fit is where you make the connections.

The shafts are splined or Double D (No, not like your wife) and the U-joints can be had to fit all variations of shaft to Vega box.

Like B.C. said - Their kits ARE great but they can't hand you a plastic model to snap together - where is the fun in that? Experiment, be creative and have fun!