PDA

View Full Version : does body need wood reinforcement?

kev93
02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Do I need to use wood for strength in spirit body? I like the simple look without interior or insert.

Hulkamania
02-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Some people do and some don't. i know guys that have no wood in their bodies and they have theirs for 2-3 years. It is going to be up to you if you want wood or not.:)

kev93
02-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Do yuo have any idea how thick of wood to use and is it treated or just plain wood?

dcmengle
02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
From what I've been reading it sounds like most people use or recommend kiln dried white oak. I wouldn't recommend pressure treated because 1) it's no where near as strong as oak, 2) depending on when it was milled and treated it'd be soaking wet. If you use pressure treated I think you'll run into problems with it wrapping as it dried and twisting your body out of shape.

As for thickness I haven't seen any mention of how thick the staves should be but I plan on using 1" thick white oak when I frame mine out.

How are you going to finish the inside of the body? I was thinking of having it sprayed with Line-X. Either black or maybe tan.

dcmengle
02-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Check out the T bucket forums at: http://www.tbucketeers.com/

They have a couple of threads going about bodies and wood reinforcment with some great ideas and lots of pics.