PDA

View Full Version : radiator/ cooling problems....

daveymac405
06-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I just bought my first t bucket, it is going to be a driver/ project. I got it to drive because i was tired of being a hot rodder with no hot rod! I'm david,

I have only drove this thing 2 or three times because every time i do something gives. it did set for a while.
then it started spitting and spewing water one day.
motor is SBC 327 going to a lo boy brass radiator. it has the motometer brass radiator with the winged cap.
things i have already done is check the thermoststat it works fine. i did add water. it all seemed to come out of the over flow. I'm repleacing the top and bottom hoses tonight. I just can not have it over heating!!!!!

B.C.
06-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Do you know the true temp when the motor is hot? Some times if they are not timed right they will run hot.

ellis8500
06-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Check your radiator cap to see if it holds 13 psi to 15 psi. Often a loss of coolant is due to a defective cap...the spring gets weak and it won't hold pressure. For effective cooling, the system needs to be pressurized.

terrymetal
06-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Alot of things can cause overheating especially with an antique engine....What kind of fan does it have? if its electric it might not be pulling in enough air especially at low speeds....if its a mechanical fan does it have a shroud? Worse case scenario is either a cracked head or even a cracked block if no visible signs of a leak are present.....It really helps to use a temp gun to check various points such as upper and lower radiator hoses heater hoses etc....also if the hoses do not feel the same amount of heat when it does overheat something could be blocked.....Good luck