PDA

View Full Version : frustrated and grumpy

daveymac405
07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
ok so I got to drive my t bucket a few times and loved it. then it's age started to really show.
everytime I drove it something else went wrong, so where to start, put new needle an seats in, the it was time to learn points. old mallory dual points style dis... so I replaced them. it ran really great for a few days then stalled out and quit starting again. not sure if I had them gapped right I was told you can pull one set so I did. it ran again, then started acting up again.

the guy that had it before me put one of those 40 dollar mr gasket univeral fuel pumps on it, so not I'm wondering if it is fuel delivey.
right after the fuel pump the line runs up to the back of the motor, and it has a splitter, so I put a gauge on it. only the needle bounces everywere. between 6 and 8 lbs of pressure at the t, fueling 2 holley 390's, does this seems right? I'm looking for an HEI to rule that problem out. any suggestions. I just want to drive for the summer. :(

fuzz
09-03-2010, 03:43 PM
An HEI distributor should fix you ignition problems. If the car has some age on it and maybe sat idle for some time you could have dirt in the fuel system from the tank all the way to the carbs. The inexpensive electric pump may give erratic pressure readings, if cleaning the fuel system doesn't fix that problem you could put an adjustable pressure regulator between the pump and cabs the keep pressure steady at 6 pounds which would be about the max for your carbs. :)

italianrich
01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
you need to use a regulator with those little pumps, i had one on an old jeep, pressure was all over the place like yours. ditch the points, go with a pertronix points eliminator, you can keep your original distributor too. you wont regret that purchase!!!