View Full Version : anyone ever dye a convert top?

01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a canvas top for my bucket, but it was painted a nutmeg color at one time. i have pressure washed it, and some of teh loose stuff came off, but alot remains. i was thinking of tryiing a citrus based stripper(not the hot milf type) to loosen the brown. anyone ever try this? the brown is a thick paintlike paint/dye. If i can get it off, what is the best product to use the re-black the top?

01-28-2011, 10:19 AM
I found 2 products on web, one is a "forever black", the other is called "renovo". anyone have experience with either one?

01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm going into the shop now and I'll ask our upholstery guy Fast Eddie if he knows of anything

01-29-2011, 08:42 PM
ok, the citrus stripper worked like a charm!!! instructions said to leave on 30 minutes, i was worried about melting into the top and welting around the edge, so at about 6 minutes it had already loosened the brown, so i pressure washed it off, and BINGO!! a black top again. washed off the remnants and letting it dry in the heated garage. next step is to re-black it. the top is 25 plus years old.

01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
ok, just shot the top with the top black from rustoleum, looks ok, but I have some wacky raised spots on the vinyl from either the citrus stripper or the pressure washer. but at a total investment of about 30 bucks, it will do for now!!

01-30-2011, 05:34 PM
$30 sounds good to me. :)