PDA

View Full Version : Brake Valve Question - Clarification

DocYates
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I am a little confused on the proportioning brake valve placement on my 27 Roadster kit. The picture in the manual shows that the proportioning valve sits beside the brake light valve on the line leading to the front brakes, coming from the master cylinder, right under the driver's seat. I am told in another book which I use for reference that this valve is used on the rear brake line to keep the rear brakes from locking before the front. The paperwork which came with the valve says it is to regulate the front brakes. It is a little confusing. I am using the power assted brakes, and front disc brakes, and am contemplating adding rear disc brakes to the my T-bucket due to the difficulty I have had finding sutiable parts for the rear end which come with my kit.
My question is where should this valve be placed? Thanks for the help.

llonning
02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Most buckets use a really small tire/wheel for the front. The rears are normally larger. If you don't regulate the pressure to the front it will lockup a lot faster than the rear. Now you have a control issue when you try to stop. On a car/truck most of the stopping power is in the front in stock form, so the valve restricts the rear pressure. Now with ABS all of what I said is out the window.

B.C.
02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Most buckets use a really small tire/wheel for the front. The rears are normally larger. If you don't regulate the pressure to the front it will lockup a lot faster than the rear. Now you have a control issue when you try to stop. On a car/truck most of the stopping power is in the front in stock form, so the valve restricts the rear pressure. Now with ABS all of what I said is out the window.

Good answer.