PDA

View Full Version : 23 front wheel shake

mustang
02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I just finished my spirit 23(first build) and I notice when ever I hit a bump or on rough roads I get a side to side front wheel shake. Any ideals how to correct this or show it down? My front end is all spirit.

Thanks!

B.C.
02-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Whats your tire pressure?

mustang
02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
BC

My tire pressure is 32 lbs.
I notice that Spirit has a steering damper in their catalog, would this help?

Lee in KC
02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Aaargg... the dreaded death wobble!! Been there, done that. Things to check:

> Caster sholud be about 5 or 6 degrees... no more! Check using a Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/Sears angle finder against the king pin boss.

> Toe should be 1/16" to 1/8" IN (although some have had better luck with toe OUT!)

> Front spindle nuts should be tightened so that the wheel will spin 1-2 relvolutions... no more. Remove the brake calipers to do this.

> Make sure all fasteners and rod-ends in the steering train are tight, including the pitman arm retaining nut. Make sure the pitman arm is fully seated on the output shaft. Check for slop in the steering box.

> After all of the above are done, test drive and make minor adjustments as necessary.

What type of shocks do you have on the front?

B.C.
02-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Aaargg... the dreaded death wobble!! Been there, done that. Things to check:

> Caster sholud be about 5 or 6 degrees... no more! Check using a Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/Sears angle finder against the king pin boss.

> Toe should be 1/16" to 1/8" IN (although some have had better luck with toe OUT!)

> Front spindle nuts should be tightened so that the wheel will spin 1-2 relvolutions... no more. Remove the brake calipers to do this.

> Make sure all fasteners and rod-ends in the steering train are tight, including the pitman arm retaining nut. Make sure the pitman arm is fully seated on the output shaft. Check for slop in the steering box.

> After all of the above are done, test drive and make minor adjustments as necessary.

What type of shocks do you have on the front?

Every thing Lee said. Plus lower your tire pressure to 20 your front end on a bucket is light and it's like an over inflated basketball with to much pressure. Also the steering dampener
will be a big help/fix.

italianrich
02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
I put a panhard bar on mine, but i think the spirit kit comes with, or maybe its an option. BC is on teh mark with the tire pressure too, 32psi and my front end was harsh!!! i run about 25psi now, really helped, so I did the same in back, the BFG drag radials really softened the ride at lower pressure!!
Rich

mustang
02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!

PS
Lee in K.C.
I have friction shocks on the front.