PDA

View Full Version : setting caster on 27 roadster

bonesracer
03-10-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm trying to set the caster on the front end. Is it done with the car loaded, on the ground. What I did was, I leveled the frame with jack stands under the the front I beam and set it to 6 degree, with no motor in. I went rite off the king pin. Hers my question, when weight is loaded, the caster rolls back. That's going to happen no matter what ,rite? Spirit says it will not change, if off the ground or on. I beg to differ. So what is the right way to set this? Thanks.

ellis8500
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
With full weight the caster will probably change some amount. Keep in mind that 6 degrees is not an exact specification; rather, it is a starting point. You will do final caster and toe adjustment after you have driven it. More caster usually results in less wandering but higher steering force. Less caster just the opposite. You will have to find the right balance for your particular car. The actual angle number is not important. What matters is how the car handles.

T=Test
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Caster cannot change if your radius rods are hooked up to the axle and the frame, only toe when you add or subtract weight [wheelstand]. Only twisting of an I-Beam changes caster or the front end has so much travel in it up and down. Should not be more than 2-4 inches of travel while fully loaded.

You set caster by adjusting the clevises or rod ends-4 bar ends to whatever you want. Front spring shackles should be at about 45* at fully loaded weight including driver/ passenger.

Most Ts like about 6* caster and about 1/8 toe in because they are so light. Driving habits and roads will determine the end result.

Northstar T
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
caster angle is measured from the ground. the frame isn't likely to be parallel to the ground, so using it as your reference may not be accurate.

Russ

B.C.
03-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the great answers guys. I always say stare some ware between 5 and 7 deg.

Northstar T
03-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Bob,
I've been staring for about an hour now, but I still don't see anything. what am I doing wrong?

;)
Russ

ellis8500
03-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Bob forgot to tell you to stare with your eyes crossed. Then and only then will you see 5 to 7 degrees of separation angle.

B.C.
03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I stare with my eyes closed. The colors are brighter that way.