PDA

View Full Version : Wiring

B.C.
12-12-2006, 03:10 PM
This is just me talking. I'm not a wiring expert but I am the guy who wires the turnkeys around Spirit. My best suggestion would be to get a wiring Kit. There are some great kits out there that are not that expensive. They come with good manuals and most have either color coded wires or are labeled along the wire as to where it goes. These kits can make even a guy like me look good.
Something else I just found out. If you are using LED lights you really need to get a heavy duty flasher.
Lets use this thread for wiring helps, hints, and questions. Whether you wire it your self or buy a kit there is a lot we can learn here so please share the wealth or ask a question we will all grow from it.

GT63
12-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Also be sure to solder all of the connections and cover them with shrink tubing. One thing I did was to use all weather plugs under the body so I could remove it from the frame easily.

B.C.
12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Also be sure to solder all of the connections and cover them with shrink tubing. One thing I did was to use all weather plugs under the body so I could remove it from the frame easily.

Great point by GT63 It's about the details. If you spend that little extra time up front your play time will be for playing and not trying to figure out why you are blowing a fuse or why some thing don't work or worse of all. "Whats that smoke I'm not doing a burn out."

Photoman
12-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Mark at MAD Electrical is a great resource for auto electric issues. His website has some good tech and he sells some really good stuff.

http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

51Cards
12-15-2006, 08:50 PM
"Whats that smoke I'm not doing a burn out."
Everything on the planet works on Smoke, I know this for a fact. Don't believe me? Let the smoke outta anything ..... anything at all, And I'll bet you a dollar it no longer works!

Mic-T
12-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I made a diagram when I made my harness. I have very little trouple with my Ele. but all problems were easily found because I keep ia copy in the car and new what color wires I was looking for and which fuses were which.But most of all Pre plan. Have all this worked out on paper before you start.

B.C.
12-19-2006, 05:19 PM
There is lots of info on this site. http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14273/

PAR-T
04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
LED lights are great, untell you want them to flash.
tryed the electronic flasher the tic tic tic was making me crazy(er)
tryed the resistors, man they get hot.
any other ideas??????

Jack Stiller
05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Par-T, I've seen where an additional load had to be put in the line (a hidden 1156 bulb and socket) in order to get the flasher to work.

Lee in KC
05-16-2007, 04:52 PM
You need a "no load" flasher...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRF%2D80230&N=700+115&autoview=sku

B.C.
05-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I was going to post what Lee did earlier but I got busy. Speedway also has them.

PAR-T
05-17-2007, 12:40 PM
the No load/electronic flaher that I got is the one that tics all the time(when the keys on)
I may just have to hide some bulbs(kinda defeets the energy savings)
I have LED lights front and rear for brake/turn and have got pretty good at working the switch to make them flash.

B.C.
05-17-2007, 02:27 PM
At least you don't have to worry about driving with your turn signals on.

Ashman-in-AZ
06-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Regarding the wiring, we could all use some photos of where to place the wiring. Example, I need to drill a hole in my chassis in order to run the wires down to the headlight stanchions however; I have no idea where to drill the holes. A photo of where the "turnkey" cars' wires are fed into the chassis would be nice. More photos of the whole wire process would be nice too. Thank you! Ashley "TFord2" in AZ!

B.C.
06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
TFord2 I'll get Josh to put together a gallery of some wiring shots we already have so we can post them in this thread. I'm not building any Turn keys right now so I may not be able to get all the shots you would like to see.
As for the headlight stanchions first decide where you are going to mount them then drill the mounting holes making sure that they are square to the frame. The Spirit frame is 3/16 wall which is thick enough to drill and tap. After you know where the stanchion will be located mark where the hole in the stanchion will be on the frame and drill a hole in the frame at that location. The hole in the frame can be larger than the one in the stanchion. It will be on the corner of the frame so use a punch to mark the spot to drill and also help you start the hole.