PDA

View Full Version : pinto or mustang rack-n-pinion

terrymetal
12-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey all, I am new to this forum. Just wondering if anyone here has ever adapted a pinto or mustang II steering rack to a t-bucket? I am building one from a old c-10 chevy and looking for a different steering option than the usual corvair.

B.C.
12-03-2007, 08:03 AM
I have seen a half rack used in a sling shot type setup.

RPM
12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey all, I am new to this forum. Just wondering if anyone here has ever adapted a pinto or mustang II steering rack to a t-bucket? I am building one from a old c-10 chevy and looking for a different steering option than the usual corvair.

A rack would work fine if you have a Pinto or Mustang front end. If you have the typical straight axle they don't work very well, because of bump steer. Every time you hit a little bump the toe in will change. Like BC said there is a company makinh 1/2 a rack and it works really good. You use it in a cross steer set up.

JOECOOL
12-04-2007, 10:32 AM
They are correct,a tube axle with a rack not only looks bad but doesn't do a very good job.First of all it must stay in the same configuration as the original car,if it is in front it has to stay in front of the tube axle. Most T-buckets do not have anything to attach it to in front of the axle.
Then the steering column has to be able to move up and down with the axle making it a requirement to have a slip joint on the steering shaft.
A C10 pickup is not a very good start for a bucket(the motor ,trans and rear may work)
The frame for a bucket is easily made or purchased.
There is a reason most T-buckets use a common theme in the parts they use,over 50 years of doing this means at least a hundred others have tried something and if you don't see it being done there is a reason.
Best of luck.
there are several options on steering that are used quite frequently,vega and corvair of course,you can use a number of Ford car,Ford pickups ,some Toyotas,and others with a drag link type steering instead of a cross steer.

terrymetal
12-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Actually I wasnt going to use the c-10 frame....it was involved in a wreck and was basically destroyed. What i have got out of it is a 350 engine turbo 350 trans, 12 bolt posi-rear. Im just gonna go with a reversed corvair box....gonna save me the trouble...

RPM
12-07-2007, 08:58 AM
That is a good way to start, with a donor vehicle. It will save you a lot of money in the long run and a lot of time hunting for little parts and peices. The alternator plug can be hard to find as well as a driveshaft, not to mention bolts. It can be very time consuming hunting for flywheel bolts and converter bolts, motor mount bolts. Good luck with your build, sounds like you are off to a good start.

VWBob
12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
A rack would work fine if you have a Pinto or Mustang front end. If you have the typical straight axle they don't work very well, because of bump steer. Every time you hit a little bump the toe in will change. Like BC said there is a company makinh 1/2 a rack and it works really good. You use it in a cross steer set up.

It's from Speedway, (www.SpeedwayMotors.com)

Part number 910-32245

$329.99

At a car show in Kingfisher, Oklahoma, I saw a "T" Bucket with that steering rack...the guy loved it!!