PDA

View Full Version : Disc brake help

xkopper34
12-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Just starting to build a T. Can anyone tell me why the catalogs say that the 78 - GM front disc brake kit is too large / heavy for a T and try to steer you to the more expensive Wilwood setup ?? Looks like everyone uses the large 11" rotors in most pics.

GT63
12-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Just starting to build a T. Can anyone tell me why the catalogs say that the 78 - GM front disc brake kit is too large / heavy for a T and try to steer you to the more expensive Wilwood setup ?? Looks like everyone uses the large 11" rotors in most pics.

That's their opinion and nothing more. I
m running the '78 GM brakes and have no problems with them.

B.C.
12-13-2007, 09:28 AM
The bigger the brake the better you stop. The GM setup looks good and in my opinion will need less maintenance than the Wilwood set up. The wilwood setup looks very nice and that is what you are paying for.
In general I tend not to believe every thing I read or hear while at the same time I under stand there is a LOT to be learned from those who have gone before us. The only trick is sorting the BS from the good stuff. This is just my opinion of coarse.
By the way welcome to the world of the Bucketheads.

rwd95v
12-13-2007, 11:09 AM
The Wildwood setups are nice in appearance...high in cost....and should be used in a light weight, or incremental use (drag racing) application.

I know they make HD stuff...with a heavy duty price tag to match.

GM stuff seems to work just fine, very affordable, and easy to find at the local Auto Zone, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc.

That is a big advantage when you need quick repairs.

Two cents worth.

rwd95v
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
That should say Wilwood....happy fingers.

RPM
12-13-2007, 09:35 PM
I have the GM 11" rotors on both my buckets and they stop just fine. Rember you control how fast you stop by how hard you push on the pedal. Ever have 11" rotors from a 66 Vette on the back on one car.

Lee in KC
12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I also have the GM late 70s/early 80s brakes on my bucket. My fronts used to lock up before my rears, which I didn't like. I'm sure it's because I got leetle skinny tarz on the front. So I put a proportioning valve on the front brake line and squinched it down a bit. Now she locks up in the rear just a hair before the fronts. I know just how much to mash the pedal before the fronts lock up... sort of a manual ABS! Hotrodding at it's best!

tfeverfred
12-13-2007, 11:33 PM
GM brakes are good for stopping a car, but there are some people who have experienced a wobble or shimmy in their T Bucket front ends at about 50-55 MPH. Any comments on this?

GT63
12-14-2007, 08:58 AM
GM brakes are good for stopping a car, but there are some people who have experienced a wobble or shimmy in their T Bucket front ends at about 50-55 MPH. Any comments on this?

When I first built mine, I had that wobble. Turned out I to be Caster angle. You need between 5 and 7 degrees. I had 3 degrees in mine. After I layed it back to 5 degrees , the wobble was gone.

I would imagine almost all causes of front end wobble is either a Caster problem or a toe problem. It just takes a little tweaking until you find that sweet spot.

RPM
12-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Incorrect toe will also cause a wobble. The biggest cause is tire balance or out of round tires.