PDA

View Full Version : four banger power

vistin
12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I am thinking about using a 2.3 ford engine for my bucket. Has anyone got some pictures of this setup? Have any of you got advice on this engine setup?
vistin

GT63
12-18-2007, 03:41 PM
I am thinking about using a 2.3 ford engine for my bucket. Has anyone got some pictures of this setup? Have any of you got advice on this engine setup?
vistin

There's no replacement for displacement. :)

Did a quick Google and got this link : http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146592

mdanielson55
12-18-2007, 05:30 PM
the motor ime familiar [sp] with was an 80 mod 2.3. it had a timing belt instead of chain. if belt broke it didnt put the valves on top of the pistons. these engines were boat racing engines and u can build them to the 350hp range. they sound like a bumble bee on steriods.

rwd95v
12-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Vistin...send me your email address. rwdoty@msn.com I will send you some photos. The January 2007 issue of Rod and Custom had a great article about a T with the 2.3 Ford Mustang engine. (1984 vintage) Cool rod. I will email you the photos. If you need it, I will copy the article and mail or fax to you.

RPM
12-19-2007, 11:48 AM
While these engine combonations are cool, and different. I wonder about resale value? Nothing is forever and as the years pass and it is time for something different, what will that car bring? Some cars bring a lot more than others with no difference up front on building cost. It is nice to see a profit for your efforts instead of a loss. Especially if you can drive it for a few years and still make money on it. I have built some weird things over the years and can't give them away and end up having to take it apart to sell a peice at a time. I built a motorcyle powered dragster. It was cutting edge technology, and it ran great, but was weird and the only one like it. I could not give the thing away and ended up selling it a peice at a time and lost a lot of money in the end.

tadpoledotnet
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Four banger set-up. Why use an overhead cam engine that has the cam right at the very top instead of down under the cam followers where it is sitting in a puddle of oil before you start it? One of the problems with the Pinto engine is: it eats camshafts. And the belt drive limits the RPM. Like I wrote in another response: I'd rather have cancer.
tadpole

johnnyangel
07-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Friend ran a tbucket with a 2.3 Pinto engine, trans and rearend set up for years, had plenty
of power to run at highway speeds. It did sound a bit like a bumble bee going down the road,
at the present the car is being outfitted with a GM 3.8 v6.

Another friend built a Dodge bucket, used a Nissan 4 banger....took lots of thinking on the
engine mounting it ran great too..

Not to mention that Speedway and Fiberfoam both put out a 27 track t designed especially
for 4 bangers.

tadpoledotnet
07-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Friend ran a tbucket with a 2.3 Pinto engine, trans and rearend set up for years, had plenty
of power to run at highway speeds. It did sound a bit like a bumble bee going down the road,
at the present the car is being outfitted with a GM 3.8 v6.

Another friend built a Dodge bucket, used a Nissan 4 banger....took lots of thinking on the
engine mounting it ran great too..

Not to mention that Speedway and Fiberfoam both put out a 27 track t designed especially
for 4 bangers.

I've recently purchased a 1982 Nissan truck with the 4-cyl. engine. I plan to use the truck frame under a '23 'T' bucket and will use the engine and the stock motor mounts, etc. I may have to move the engine back or move the front suspension forward or both to get the front wheels where I want them. I'll be replacing the stock 'A' arms with ones of my own design and use the torsion bars that are on the truck. tadpole