PDA

View Full Version : frame rails

mikeyboi82
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Question for you all, to anybody who built their own frame rails, did you use a backing plate at the kickups when welding on eachside of frame rail?

23Tzer
01-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I built mine from CCR plans and I didn't use any re-enforcement plates on the kickup. I know a lot of people put the backing plates on for added strength and it sure doesn't hurt anything.

RPM
01-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Question for you all, to anybody who built their own frame rails, did you use a backing plate at the kickups when welding on eachside of frame rail?

I don't use any backing plates when I build frames. I do grind the edges to be welded on a 45 deg bevel so you can make sure you get a good weld. Be sure to grind all areas to be welded, dirt won't weld. Any bits of dirt or mill slag will only leave a flaw in the weld. A small flaw leads to a big crack and then a broken weld.

mikeyboi82
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
So im thinking personal preference, If you think you cant get penetration use backing plate. Definetely RPM, I always bevel when doing butt welds, helps with penetration. Thanks for your reply guys, I just wanted to know how others felt about backing plates.

B.C.
01-05-2008, 12:29 PM
A beveled edge and good penetration is all you need. If your afraid your weld may brake just practice on some scrap steel till you feel confident.