PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt mounting?

bentbaggerlen
01-13-2008, 06:16 PM
My bucket has a roll bar, so its easy to mount a shoulder belt, but what is the best way to mount the lap belt when using the Spirit drop in interior? Any thoughts ofr photos would be helpful.

thomas
01-13-2008, 06:59 PM
I to would like some info and pictures regarding the seat belt mounting.

thomas:)

butch27
01-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I welded a crossbar of 3/4" sq. at the high point of the rear kick-up and welded brackets to that.

Maurice
01-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Photos would really be appreciated.

GT63
01-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Photos would really be appreciated.

Think about this. If you're in an accident and the body breaks away from the frame do you want to remain in the body or be cut in half because you're belts are bolted to the frame. ?? Mount your seat belts to the body using large washers.

Hulkamania
01-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Thats how we do it here at spirit...we just bolt ours to the body. The seat belts are not going to save your life in a t bucket. They are more for looks and to make the John Browns happy when they inspect your car or worst when they pull you over.;)

thomas
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the information. Makes it pretty easy I'd say.

butch27
01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
For me. Bolted to the frame. That fiberglass mount is going to pull right through. I raced single seater race cars and always to the metal mount. No race car would pass set up that way. My opinion.

bentbaggerlen
01-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Butch, I'm with you. Frame mounted. Maybe some body or floor reinforcment is in order as well.

VWBob
01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Thats how we do it here at spirit...we just bolt ours to the body. The seat belts are not going to save your life in a t bucket. They are more for looks and to make the John Browns happy when they inspect your car or worst when they pull you over.;)

You have got to be kidding...:mad:

The body should be firmly mounted at numerous locations...so that in an accident...the majority of the body stays with the car and only pieces are broken off!!!

The people in the car should stay with the car...they should be firmly belted in...meaning seat belts/harness attached to the frame!!!

AND

Anyone that builds a T-Bucket should install a frame mounted roll bar/cage...it doesn't have to be obnoxious...just functional!!!

Hulkamania
01-28-2008, 10:09 AM
I was wrong on mounting it.We mount the seatbelts to the body mounting tab on the frame and we use the same bolt for mounting the body with....Here is a question who uses seatbelts in a tbucket???? I don't think i have ever seen someone use a seatbelt in a Tbucket. If you car flips how is the seatbelts going to save your life? Most guys don't use roll cages b/c it is a tbucket not a race car!!!

GT63
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I have seen two accidents involving a T-bucket, in both cases the body floor either cracked or tore away from the frame. I believe the accident in Omaha where the rock truck turned in front of the T, actually seperated the body from the frame. I wonder how many install seatbelts for "safety" also wear helmets? After all , A T-bucket is basically a 4 wheeled motorcycle.

Of the hundreds of T-buckets I've seen at the NTBA National Events I've attended, only one had a full body cage. All of the rest were just wooded on the inside. On top of that, very few had seat belts in them. Especially those that are registered as a 1923 Model Ts. Most folks that put seat belts in their cars do so to keep them from sliding across the seat in a power turn or doughnut. :)

I have adopted the same driving style as if I were riding a motorcycle when in my T, overly cautious. People are crazy, I've had cars almost wreck trying to get a look at the bucket. I've had cars almost run me off the road while looking at the Bucket. I've had cars run red lights because they were paying attention to me and not the traffic light. Dang ole T-buckets just grab all the attention. LOL

thomas
01-28-2008, 06:29 PM
decisions, decisions what shall I do?

tfeverfred
01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I have to agree with the Spirit guys. In a minor bumping accident, seatbelts mounted to the body may be all that's needed. Anything over 35 or 40 MPH and a seatbelt, regardless of where or how it's mounted, isn't going to save you. Chances are, you'll be in a VERY bad way. It comes with the territory. These things have been described as "motorcycles that won't tip over" for good reason. I did a few test runs in mine this past weekend and the one thing I figured out right off the bat, is that these cars are VERY quick and paying attention to the road and what is going on around you is the best defense.

I'm attaching my belts to the body floor. I don't have a Spirit body and I am lucky to have a way of mounting a shoulder harness, but I doubt I will.

LumenAl
01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I also agree with GT on this... mount to the body, use the proper seatbelt washers and it's going to hold on just fine... If you rip one of them babes out... you have other issues at that given moment!

bentbaggerlen
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Hulkamania said:
"We mount the seatbelts to the body mounting tab on the frame and we use the same bolt for mounting the body with...." Yea, that makes a lot more sense, it's also how TP dose it, I stopped in today and asked them.

To each their own, If you don't want wear a seat belt thats fine by me. Let those that ride decide, right.

Every car I've built has had at the very least 3 point belts, my pro-street Matador had four point and the sand rails and the jeep had five point belts.

Tested the belts in the Matador when the axle snapped, 800 hp will do that. You could see the outlines of the buckles in the bruises and I was sore for weeks.

Tested the belts in a friends dune buggy when we had a car pull out in front of us, hit it at a 45% angle bounced off across the road into the ditch on the other side. The buggy was just a simple fiberglass body mounted to a shortened VW pan. With a roll bar bolted to each side of the pan and the floors had been cut out and replaced with expanded metal. About as close to a bucket as you can get. My buddy that was driving hit the steering wheel, broken ribs punctured lung and some really nasty cuts to his right arm and shoulder from hitting the fiberglass. He would never wear a seat belt. I ended up with a some bruises and cuts from the windshield glass, no shoulder belt and a broken toe.

I think this is what I'm going to use in my bucket.
http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html
And they even carry a DOT tag!