PDA

View Full Version : angles

capt thundarr
01-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi all, new guy here, I have a question about the angle of the trans out put shaft on a spirit '27 frame. I am using a speedway frame that I bought some time ago. With the frame rails level and the engine/trans mounted the trans out put shaft angle is 5 deg. down. this makes for an funky drive shaft angle. can anyone tell me want the angle is on a spirit '27 frame at level? I have modified the rear suspension setup to lower the car some and this put the rear pinion slightly above the trans. Thanks for any help.:rolleyes:

mdanielson55
01-26-2008, 12:02 PM
tbucketeers.com try this site more tech answered and more active

thomas
01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I agree. It sometimes takes months before anyone will answer you. This is one of the worst forums on the internet.

thomas:)

23Tzer
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi all, new guy here, I have a question about the angle of the trans out put shaft on a spirit '27 frame. I am using a speedway frame that I bought some time ago. With the frame rails level and the engine/trans mounted the trans out put shaft angle is 5 deg. down. this makes for an funky drive shaft angle. can anyone tell me want the angle is on a spirit '27 frame at level? I have modified the rear suspension setup to lower the car some and this put the rear pinion slightly above the trans. Thanks for any help.:rolleyes:

If you mount the engine with the carburetor base level, the tranny output shaft should be down about 3 degrees. Then set the pinion shaft at 3 degrees up. They don't have to be at the same height but the angles should offset each other.

B.C.
01-26-2008, 03:40 PM
A board is only as good as it's posters and your one of the best Al.
In response to Thomas, Spirit trys to provide state of the art technology free of charge to support this hobby. From hosting the first message board on the Internet devoted to T buckets back in 1995 which became the NTBA to our most recent video's on line we are still cutting edge.
I monitor this board often for content to keep it friendly for those who come here. If someone has a question about there T bucket I think we have some of the best support in the industrie just give us a call, I spend a good part of my day answering tec questions.
I'm not a fast typer and answering e-mails or using the boards is not my favorite way of answering Tec stuff. My posts are usually general info stuff.
Thomas we do appreciate your posts here and we do appreciate our customers but Mikey is right there are other boards that are more active that might get you answers faster.

butch27
01-26-2008, 05:49 PM
23Tezr Has it right.

thomas
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
B.C.

My intent was not to offend Spirit Industries. I purchased my kit from spirit and have talked to Josh often. Dealing with you as been very rewarding. The comment was made hoping for some kind of response. I got one.

thank you

thomas

capt thundarr
01-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the replies,I've done a lot of research on this subject and still couldn't figure out why speed way would build in such an unsual angle. To keep the project a driver, I believe in run'n what ya built, alittle more fab is in order. I can set the pinion angle to that +5 deg required but get tired of replacing u-joints. motor on all

B.C.
01-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Thomas there was no offense taken and we are glad to have you as a customer and we want to do every thing possible to make your owning a bucket an enjoyable experience. From building it to driving it.
We hope you can make the Bash this year. As the Bash gets closer I'm sure this board will liven up. This board was really to promote that event and we just added the tec pages for added value.
I was over at tbucketeers tonight and that board does have a lot of posting about buckets going on.
I do my best to provide a forum and event to support the hobby and not just to promote Spirit Industries.
Thomas thanks for your support in both visiting and posting on this board and buying our product.

terrymetal
01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey Capt. have you tried using u-joint girdles from a race car. If you keep breaking u-joints, this would help make them a bit stronger. You can also get offset pinion shims to get specific angles. Moroso and Strange makes these parts and they work excellent.

thomas
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Can I just turn in the bottom clevis on the radius rods to bring up the rearend angle?

23Tzer
01-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Can I just turn in the bottom clevis on the radius rods to bring up the rearend angle?

You can lenghten the lower end of the rod or shorten the top, or a combination of both to raise the pinion angle to where you need it. You don't really want the tranny output to line up perfectly with the pinion. If you don't have movement in the u-joints, they will wear out pretty quick.

capt thundarr
01-29-2008, 10:10 PM
I have eyeballed this for a while, I can adj. the pinion up to align with the trans angle but 5 deg. seems a bit mutch. I think I will decrease the trans angle, with shims or new xmember, so that the pinion is not "up" to much. Thanks to all for the in put. see you guys do respond to some one in need,

thomas
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Here's the thing. The tranny is down 3 degrees, rearend up 3 degrees. Now the driveshaft drops from tranny to rearend, 18 degrees and over I'm not sure yet. Maybe 10 or 12 degrees. Just quessing on the ladder.

Duke
01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Capt, I was just thinking, the five degree angle does seem strange, so I will ask a stupied question. You are using a transmission mount between the crossmember and the transmission, because if not that would drop your tranny to about a five degree angle.:confused:

capt thundarr
01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Duke, got a new poly mount in there. To shim the trans to 3 deg will require a shim of approx. 2.5" because of the moment angle(piviot point) at the motor mounts. just pickin' brains.