PDA

View Full Version : Electric fuel pump

thomas
01-30-2008, 07:03 PM
B.C. or Josh

Do you ever use electric fuel pumps in your turn key cars? If so, where do you put it? I have a holly red and was told to put it a little below and as close to the fuel tank as possible. There is no space to put the electric fuel pump near the tank. Any suggestions.

Thanks guys

thomas:)

23Tzer
01-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Maybe you could mount it on the frame below the tank. It needs to be as close to the tank as possible because the electric pump is designed to push the gas, not pull it. Why not use a mechanical pump? In my opinion, they are more reliable than an electric pump.

rwd95v
01-31-2008, 08:01 PM
If you happen to be using a post 1986 Small Block Chevrolet block, the external fuel pump boss is not machined and is blocked. They are designed for the in tank (Walbro) style high pressure pump and return fuel.

I am using a Holley Blue Pump with external regulator for my carbureted 1986 SBC.

It is mounted on the right rear frame kickup.

No problems. Regulator set at 7# on a dual quad setup.

Yes...they do wear out and quit. I will carry a spare.

I am wearing out too, but having fun.

rwd95v
01-31-2008, 08:02 PM
That really should have said....1986 and newer...to be really clear.

thomas
01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a 86' or newer 302 ford. I am not very smart when it comes to motors or cars. This is my first attempt at anything like this.:confused:

thomas:)

rwd95v
01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Thomas...Ford went to fuel injection on the 5.0 or 302 in 1986 also. I would have to check, but odds are they do not have the manual fuel pump provision. It would be on the front right (passenger) side of the block, just aft of the timing cover. (they are cam eccentric driven). I am not sure about the Ford block. I have had several 5.0's and they were all injected with the in-tank pump. I switched one to a carb, and it seems that were no provisions for a manual pump. Maybe the Ford folks can help us out. Regardless...you can use an electric pump. The Fuel injected systems use the in-tank pump with high pressure to maintain constant pressure in the fuel rails for the injectors. Excess fuel is routed back to the tank via a return line.

The carbed engines use a low pressure pump like the Holley Red or Blue. They will actually put out about 14 lbs of line pressure....but that will blow the needles off the seats on most carbs, resulting in flooding.

The Holley Red has an internal regulator and maintains about 7 lbs. of pressure. The Holley Blue needs a separate adjustable regulator.

wclay8
05-22-2008, 10:39 PM
The newer 5.0 engines do not have a provision for a mech. pump. The block off is on the drivers side but you'll have to use an elec. pump for your engine.

streetrodman
08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
When determining what pump to use, I recommend the the mechanical type over any electric pump for reliability. I have been a fuel pump engineer for many years, built and tested many different brands. High performance pumps to standard stock mechanicals. The best performing pump I ever tested in a lab, was the Federal-Mogul (3) valve, 3 casting type.(also known as the "Carter" brand) The psi at 1800 rpm is mid range of 8.0. and the GPH runs at 120, with 2 psi backpressure. They are a cast aluminum, not chrome as the holleys and edelbrocks, (which hold heat and cause vapor locking issues in hot climates). By far the best pumps ever built.:cool: :cool:

Streetrodman

GT63
08-26-2008, 06:59 AM
When determining what pump to use, I recommend the the mechanical type over any electric pump for reliability. I have been a fuel pump engineer for many years, built and tested many different brands. High performance pumps to standard stock mechanicals. The best performing pump I ever tested in a lab, was the Federal-Mogul (3) valve, 3 casting type.(also known as the "Carter" brand) The psi at 1800 rpm is mid range of 8.0. and the GPH runs at 120, with 2 psi backpressure. They are a cast aluminum, not chrome as the holleys and edelbrocks, (which hold heat and cause vapor locking issues in hot climates). By far the best pumps ever built.:cool: :cool:

Streetrodman

While mechanical pumps maybe more reliable, the majority of new genreation engine blocks do not have a mechanical pump boss anymore, since fuel injection is now the induction of choice. So if your are using a new generation GM, Ford or Dodge block, you're only choice is an electric fuel pump.

Phoenixmsb
08-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I have my pump located just forward of the rear kick-up behind the body mount. I'm running that into a "Streetrod Fuel Filter" from Jegs and then up to a regulator. It's just a Procomp Red pump (cheaper than Holley) and I know I don't need the regulator it's just to smooth the fuel flow out and it was cheap on eBay!

Using hard line (cheapest at Speedwaymotors.com) everywhere except up to the tank and from the regulator up to the engine.

:cool: