PDA

View Full Version : Steel floor? What do you think.

bentbaggerlen
02-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Instead of using 7/16" plywood between the body and the insert to stiffen the floor, how about using steel? Or aluminum? Drilling a holes as needed so the insert can be bonded to the body. Rolling ribs in a piece of sheet stock would make it stiff.
Would the steel and fiberglass expand and contract so at different rates so as to brake the bond between the body and the insert?

capt thundarr
02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Howdy Bent, The expansion rates between steel and most composits causes the bond to break on large applications like flooring unless special steps and alot of work are done. Being lazy by nature I wouldn't do it.

bentbaggerlen
02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Capt,
Thats what I was thinking, that the expansion rate between the two would tend to brake the bond between them, when using resin.
But it can be done, its done in bucket trucks all the time to attach the insulated fiberglass boom sections to the steel booms. They use epoxy to join the two. I've talked to a few manufactures and they have recommended three epoxies that would work. But the cost :eek: would be huge. Still something to think about.