PDA

View Full Version : laser cut radius rods

shaky
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi ,,I work at a place where have access to computor Lazers cutting machines while in conversation with 1 of the operators as to how my build is going and what parts i still need . He suggested we shud try and make rods out of 1/4 inch steel can put any design as well as custom engravin what u people think to wierd or what could it work worth trying ???? any 1 ever seen this or similar idea used Thanks Kevin :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek:

rotten
03-18-2008, 07:01 PM
I also have access to lazer and water jet machines. I have made a few radius rods from stainless steel plate. In my opinion they are very bulky looking and much heavier than the standard round bar radius rod. Leave the lazer parts to the mounting brackets, headlight mounts and such. Just my opinion.

shaky
03-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanx rotten thot worth considering but u made good points . and thats y we have these forums as for brackets ur right theres not much u cant do Thanx again

BlownT
03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
wouldn't have no 1/4" brackets

LumenAl
03-25-2008, 03:47 AM
... suggested we shud try and make rods out of 1/4 inch steel... Thanks Kevin :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think 1/4 inch flat steel radius rods wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as typical radius rods that are usually 1 inch tube steel... I wouldn't chance it!

rotten
03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I have even made some from 3/8 plate and they still flex. Flat plate has no strength at all unless it is formed in either angle or channel. It can be used as a gusset when used in conjuction with other structual metal IE ---tubing-angle-channel or I beam.