PDA

View Full Version : need some assistance with this one...

linersis
03-31-2008, 01:53 PM
i just finished up installing my new engine for my bucket. 355 chevy, dual quads, really steep cam, around 450 horse. my problem is i got it fired up, done my break in on the engine, and now my nice chrome pipes have turned a nice shade of blue, purple and gold... i have seen this before. i went to a local motorcycle shop, they sold me some stuff to help get the chrome finish back. did'nt work real well. my question is, is there anyone around the indianapolis indiana area that knows a good place i can take my pipes to get these ceramic coated? plmk, thanks

coyoteugly543
03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
www.prokoteindy.com 317-872-0001 pro-kote. 5412 rock hampton court. indianapolis.in.46268

RPM
03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
But first you need to take them to a chrome shop and have the chrome removed. The ceramic won't stick real well to the chrome. You might be money ahead to sell that set and buy a set already ceramic coated.

Sir William
04-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Removing chrome should ONLY be done by a place that's setup to do it. It is extremely hazardous and should never be attempted by the novice. You guys may already know, but if not, I'd hate to think of somebody getting them sandblasted or something.

:D

JOECOOL
04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't know if this will help now or not ,we used to take the headers( they have to be new), and coat the inside of the tubes with high heat header type paint. then install them and that paint will be a barrier for some of the heat.

In my opinion!!! if you discolor the headers more than 8 or 10 inches down the tube you need it tuned. The timing could be slow and therefore the exhaust is still burning in the pipe, or the carb is lean . Once again ,just my opinion.