PDA

View Full Version : A few brake questions?

Phoenixmsb
07-22-2008, 05:41 PM
:confused:

Just a few brake line questions (Spirit 1927 T) for the pros out there:

1. Can I run the brake lines to the front (with a "L" at the top of the frame) then whip a flex line over the top of the frame to the front brake calipers? Saving a bit on thru-frame fittings but don't want it to look TOO ugly! ;)

2. On the 10-bolt chevy rear - Can I have solid brake lines to both sides then drop a flex line down to both sides if I leave enough slack for suspension travel?

3. Can I hook up the brake switch direct to a spare outlet on a 4-outlet master cylinder?

Thanks for any help you can give.

:cool:

Paulski
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
1. Yes you can run the lines like a L and use the flex line to the caliper. I did mine almost the same way, except I ran mine under the frame and into a 90 degree bulk head fitting, then form the bulkhead fitting into a flex line to the caliper.(I'll see if I can dig up a picture) I wasn't afraid of the brake line getting kinked from being under the frame because the headers/steering box/oil pan/hairpin rod brackts/transmission crossmember are a lot lower then the bottom of the frame and those would hit the ground before the brake line does.

2. The factor chevy muscle cars form the 60's and 70's (and probably other cars too) came factory with a hard line coming from the master cylinder connected to a flex line above the rear end going down to the rear end into a Tee fitting that was bolted using one of the cover bolts, then the two drums were hard lined from the wheel cylinder to the tee fitting. Using the tee on the rear end would allow you to use only one flex line. Make sure you support all hard lines with clamps and what not

3. I dont have any experience with pressure brake switches but I would think if the spare port only sees pressure when the brakes are applied, then I would think it would work for your brake light pressure switch

OK after saying all this, I am no way a pro on brakes. I have done a lot of them and have a basic understanding of how hydraulics work, but I would not call myself a pro (just look at my other posts about my brake problems!) so maybe someone else can reply too and confirm/or correct what I think.