PDA

View Full Version : Construction hints to share with others

Phoenixmsb
09-12-2008, 08:22 AM
After building helicopters and airplanes, I've applied some of the hints and tips to my 1927 T building and wanted to pass them on to maybe help others.

1. Use cheap hardware. No, not for your final building, but during first assembly. Check off your Grade 8 hardware list from Spirit and duplicate it at Home Depot with cheap zinc hardware. Your total outlay will only be about $20.00 and you'll save that much on the good stuff by not using your nylock nuts and having to replace them if you have to take something apart again. If you're REALLY sure you won't have to take something apart again then use the Grade 8 stuff.

2. PAINT that cheap hardware - something really ugly like safety orange or snot green. That way you won't forget to change it out at final assembly for the good stuff. Unless your car is going to be orange or green, then choose another nasty color.

3. When attaching clamps or other stuff to the frame, dip your screw or rivet in paint first. That way, when it is installed, the bare steel has some paint to protect it. With aluminum and rivets, I always painted the rivets with Zinc Chromate to protect against corrosion.

4. When installing nuts always make sure to leave at least 2 threads showing past the end of the nut. This way, you are sure that the bolt length is correct.

5. Haunt eBay and Craigslist for parts. If Spirit sells it, spend your money there but if not, great deals can be had on eBay.

Everyone probably knows most of these but I just wanted to help someone out that might find these hints helpful.

Bruce Krist

Spirit 1927 T
and very soon a C-Cab
:cool:

sstock
09-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Great info for any build or restoration.

JOECOOL
11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
great tips, one thing I always do is when using a nut and bolt on a bracket or such is I try to tack weld the nut on the bracket. Then it only takes one wrench to install or remove.