Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > General Discussion
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
canoehenge
1st Gear Member

Default Obtaining Title and emissions testing in Texas

According to the Texas Transportation Code, Title 7, Subtitle A, Chapter 504, Subchapter F the following statement from the Texas Department of Public Safety is quoted:

Vehicles have to meet the emissions standards for the year the vehicle is assembled. Vehicle
manufacturers have to certify that their vehicles meet EPA emissions standards. A lot of kit car manufacturers also comply with this requirement. If you purchase one of these kit cars, follow the instructions on assembly, including the emissions components. You should be able to pass an emissions test just like any other new car.
Just as the EPA does not allow an individual to reverse engineer a vehicle to defeat emission standards, they do not allow an individual to build a brand new "old" vehicle to bypass emissions standards. It is possible if you actually use old parts (like a 1965 engine, or complete 60s frame and powertrain) that the vehicle will be registered as that model year (replica), but this is a TxDOT issue. However it is registered, is how DPS inspection stations will test it.

My question is to you guys who have experience registering your Spirit T buckets in Texas. Have you had any problems with emissions testing? What has been your experience with the process.
canoehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
TriodeLuvr
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoehenge View Post
However it is registered, is how DPS inspection stations will test it.
Vehicles with street rod or custom vehicle specialty license plates are exempt from emissions testing. Here's a link that defines these vehicles. Kit cars are a different category and do indeed require annual emissions inspection.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/uniqueVeh.htm

Here's the original SEMA announcement on this:

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...igned-into-law

Jack

Last edited by TriodeLuvr; 04-01-2014 at 10:34 AM..
TriodeLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Hulkamania
Administrator

We can offer an Arkansas Title with our kits. This will help and you won't have to go through that. We have many customers in TX that has registered their cars with no issue
Hulkamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
canoehenge
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the clarification.
canoehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
TriodeLuvr
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamania View Post
We can offer an Arkansas Title with our kits.
What is the model year shown on the Arkansas titles? If it's the actual year of manufacture, such as 2014, the vehicle will be required to meet Texas emission standards for that year. To avoid that, the Texas purchaser must re-title the vehicle as a "Street Rod" (if it resembles a vehicle manufactured before 1949) or "Custom Vehicle" (if it resembles a vehicle newer than 1948 but at least 25 years old).

If the title shows the model year as that of the vehicle it resembles, e.g. 1923, and it doesn't say "replica," "kit" or anything like that, there are two additional choices. The vehicle can be registered as an "Antique," which eliminates all annual inspections as well as liability insurance requirements. However, the law places specific restrictions on how such a vehicle can be used (parades, car shows, driven for repair work, etc.). Further, because the definition of "antique" in Texas requires it to have the original body, frame and motor, titling a fiberglass car this way may not be legal. The second choice with a 1923 title is to simply transfer it as a "normal" vehicle. In that case, the annual inspection will only be composed of items that were original to the car, plus seat belts. There will not be an emissions test, because all cars in Texas are exempt from emissions testing once they are 25 years old.

Incidentally, I realize now that there are errors in the information contained in the two links I posted earlier, particularly concerning definitions. The above paragraph is the real lowdown as I understand it on the current situation in Texas. It's the result of many phone calls to DMV and many hours of searching and reading.

Jack

Last edited by TriodeLuvr; 04-01-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
TriodeLuvr
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoehenge View Post
...It is possible if you actually use old parts (like a 1965 engine, or complete 60s frame and powertrain) that the vehicle will be registered as that model year (replica), but this is a TxDOT issue. However it is registered, is how DPS inspection stations will test it.
This caught my eye when I read your post again. Notice how it says "it is possible...," as though the state isn't quite sure what will actually happen? That's the same response I got from several people I talked to at DMV and TXDOT. One guy even told me an out-of-state replica titled as a modern car couldn't be transferred to Texas unless it met all emissions standards and had a motor monitoring chip. I almost didn't buy my car because of that. In the end, it took a week of phone calls to find a specific person in Austin who knew about the Texas special vehicle programs (Street rod and Custom). Nearly everything he told me was the exact opposite of all the previous agents.

The bottom line is that regardless of the type of title that Spirit supplies, you'll have no trouble registering the car here.

Jack
Unread 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Hulkamania
Administrator

The Arkansas title will read 1923 ford model T replica
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Hulkamania
Administrator

We have many cars in Texas that have used our Arkansas title with no issues
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Nothing to do with Texas titles, But.. When I changed my Spirit, Ark title over to Okla, all I took was the serial number plate to the tag office. They thought about it for a minute and said "ok, that is all we need." 5 days later I received my Okla. title in the mail.
Lee
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
TriodeLuvr
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamania View Post
The Arkansas title will read 1923 ford model T replica
In that case, my understanding is that it will need to be titled as a "Street Rod." A one-time inspection by an ASE certified master automobile technician will be required. They use form VTR-852 (can be downloaded at www.TxDMV.gov). Once this is done, the car is exempt from annual safety inspections. The plates will have "Street Rod" printed on them.

Jack