Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > T-Bucket Tech
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Northstar T
2nd Gear Member

Cool 66' Mustang radiator out - Griffin IN

Did I miss anything at the party yet??? I've been working on the T most of the afternoon, so I hope I'm not too late.
I received a new Griffin radiator yesterday, so today seemed like a good day to install it. I'd been having some minor overheating problems with the OEM type 66 Mustang radiator that I built the car with, but replaced it with a super duty unit built to fit a 66 Mustang for easier installation. it's the 2 x 1.25" core aluminum variety, good for up to 600 HP, so I figure that should do the trick .

The first order of business was to make new mounting tabs to bolt the electric fan to. I never liked the wire tie method, and sure wasn't going to stab anything through my new $500.oo+ radiator, so after due consideration I decided I may as well incorporate the mounting into a full fan shroud.
The new shroud was fabricated out of 18G steel, as that's what I had laying around. most of it gets cut away anyway, so weight really wasn't going to be a factor. The center fan opening received a rolled edge, but I'm afraid the cold weather today forced me to toss the buck in the wood stove before I took a picture of it. it was simply a piece of 1x12 pine that I cut a circular likeness of the opening in, and then routed the edge over. with the tin clamped to the buck it was a simple matter to hammer the edge over to form the rolled edge. this stiffened the tin shroud a lot, as well as making a nice transition for the air to flow around. 4 studs were also welded in to mount the fan to.

The shroud was to be pop rivited to the radiator frame, so some 1/4" weather sealing foam tape was first stuck around the edges to seal as well as to protect the aluminum tanks from the steels edges.

A coat of trim black went on the steel shroud, but the rest is just too pretty to cover up. + why add insulation to the aluminum!!
Northstar T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Northstar T
2nd Gear Member

Default continued

She dropped right in as it should. the extra thickness and height makes it close in a few places, but nothing that posed a problem.

and my shortened model A shell still fits over it with ease

and covers the radiator by just - that - much. (thanks Max)

I'll let you know if it works tomorrow if the sun comes out again

Russ
Northstar T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
deckofficer
4th Gear Member

Good work Russ,

I hope this cools things down. A shroud with a really close fit is about the only thing that keeps the tiny cut down radiator in the track nose.

1790 lbs 526 hp @ 5700 556 lb/ft @ 4400
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Photoman
3rd Gear Member

Say Bob... Solid motor mounts in that car?
Photoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
deckofficer
4th Gear Member

Nope, angled downward isolated mounts.

1790 lbs 526 hp @ 5700 556 lb/ft @ 4400
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote