Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > General Discussion
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default Spec'd out and ordered my Spirit Kit today

Well the extended body was ordered a couple weeks ago but I finished up on the spec for the rest of the deluxe stage three kit. I added a steering box and pitman to the kit as well as an uphostery and seat kit. Decided to use stainless rod ends to accent any ceramic coating I do to the suspension components. The big change was going with the Ford 9" rear end with 31 spline axles and big drum brake kit, if I decide to put a big back tire on it or drag radial the rear should have no issues. Now I have to get that old 283 out to the machine shop for an over bore, then I can start assembling the motor. The other thing I need to do is clear some more space in the garage before all this stuff starts showing up.
After 33 years of planning this T, the first hurdle has been taken. Looking forward to the fun of the build.

Steve
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
KCA7
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 16
Thumbs up

When's the big day? We need pictures now! Have fun on the build.
KCA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default

Thanks, the only pic I have right now is one of a carcus of a '59 283cu in motor,lol. I will post up as this thing rolls out with some pics though.
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
benT
1st Gear Member
 
benT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 26
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock View Post
Well the extended body was ordered a couple weeks ago but I finished up on the spec for the rest of the deluxe stage three kit. I added a steering box and pitman to the kit as well as an uphostery and seat kit. Decided to use stainless rod ends to accent any ceramic coating I do to the suspension components. The big change was going with the Ford 9" rear end with 31 spline axles and big drum brake kit, if I decide to put a big back tire on it or drag radial the rear should have no issues. Now I have to get that old 283 out to the machine shop for an over bore, then I can start assembling the motor. The other thing I need to do is clear some more space in the garage before all this stuff starts showing up.
After 33 years of planning this T, the first hurdle has been taken. Looking forward to the fun of the build.

Steve
Steve, your life will never be the same...now you'll be one of us rogues! Looks like you made some great choices to get the build underway. Bob and the gang at Spirit will take good care of you. Can't wait to start seeing some build pics from ya!
__________________
BenT
benT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Lee in KC
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 70
Posts: 94
Default

In terms of excitement, the day I picked up my Stage III kit at Spirit (2/1/06) is second only to...



...the day I first drove my T (7/15/06)...



Steve, I am really jealous. Building my T was one of the most satisfying experiences in my entire life. I'm really itching to do another one.
Lee in KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default

Thanks Ben and Lee. I'm definitely excited. Actually Lee, I will have part of your legacy on my T, I'm getting your front shock kit that you engineered and built. I'll have to hook up with you and buy you supper and a beers at least for that one. Also, Ben, I was wondering if I could have an intake drop shipped from Summit to your Dad's place to get some coating done?

Thanks in advance guys.

Steve
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
B.C.
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mountain Home AR.
Posts: 714
Default

Lee looking at the picture of you picking up your bucket reminds me a lot sure has changed but the one thing that stays the same is the excitment every time someone gets there car. We don't build cars at Spirit we build dreams.

Steve as for the extended bucket we have one more to build after yours. I decided yesterday it is going to be my next personal build. and yes it will be in primer.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Lee in KC
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 70
Posts: 94
Default

Steve, a word of caution on those shock mounts. My front end is not stock Spirit. BC raised the front spring perch from the bottom of the cross-member to the top for me so the front of my car would sit lower. My shock towers were designed to accommodate the lower front end. I would suggest you wait to order the shock mounts until you have your chassis assembled (or at least mocked up) with the motor and tranny installed (to get weight on the front end). Then mount a shock to the front-end (youre' going to need the three-hole shackle plates). Hold the shock at the approximate angle it will be when installed and extend the shock half-way through it's range of travel. Lay a straight-edge on the top of the frame and measure from the bottom of the straight-edge (top of the frame) to the center of the top eye of the shock. If that distance is much more than a 1/2" more or less than... dang it! Gotta reboot out of Win7 and into WinXP so I can fire up AutoCAD to check the measurement! Back in a few minutes!

OK, I'm back. The answer is... 6-1/2". So, if you measure somewhere between 6 and 7 inches, my design should work for you. Otherwise the design will have to be adjusted. I think Ron can do that on his end, but if not, I will re-do the design based on your measurements and send it to him.

Last edited by Lee in KC; 02-19-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Lee in KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in KC View Post
Steve, a word of caution on those shock mounts. My front end is not stock Spirit. BC raised the front spring perch from the bottom of the cross-member to the top for me so the front of my car would sit lower. My shock towers were designed to accommodate the lower front end. I would suggest you wait to order the shock mounts until you have your chassis assembled (or at least mocked up) with the motor and tranny installed (to get weight on the front end). Then mount a shock to the front-end (youre' going to need the three-hole shackle plates). Hold the shock at the approximate angle it will be when installed and extend the shock half-way through it's range of travel. Lay a straight-edge on the top of the frame and measure from the bottom of the straight-edge (top of the frame) to the center of the top eye of the shock. If that distance is much more than a 1/2" more or less than... dang it! Gotta reboot out of Win7 and into WinXP so I can fire up AutoCAD to check the measurement! Back in a few minutes!

OK, I'm back. The answer is... 6-1/2". So, if you measure somewhere between 6 and 7 inches, my design should work for you. Otherwise the design will have to be adjusted. I think Ron can do that on his end, but if not, I will re-do the design based on your measurements and send it to him.
Ok, I do remember now that you did raise the perch on your car. I'll have to do some figuring, thanks for the intel. I just saved another pic of your car to my hard drive. Love the stance=== looks like a 125 front tire and I'd have to guess but thinking a Hoosier rear to the size of 31 by 18.5 15", how close am I???
Lee, I have to say, after all the T's I've seen both pics and seen in person, if I were to pic one that best fits my own preference and liking, it would be yours.
Something about having a big wheezer sitting ontop of a chevy engine that makes the blood boil.
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Lee in KC
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 70
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock View Post
...looks like a 125 front tire and I'd have to guess but thinking a Hoosier rear to the size of 31 by 18.5 15", how close am I???
Dead nuts on, bud!! Good eye. And thanks for the compliments on my T... it did turn out well.
Lee in KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
KCA7
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in KC View Post
In terms of excitement, the day I picked up my Stage III kit at Spirit (2/1/06) is second only to...



...the day I first drove my T (7/15/06)...



Steve, I am really jealous. Building my T was one of the most satisfying experiences in my entire life. I'm really itching to do another one.
Hey Lee, You got 1 heck of a ride. What are you going to build next time?
KCA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Lee in KC
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 70
Posts: 94
Default

Lee in KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
Steve as for the extended bucket we have one more to build after yours. I decided yesterday it is going to be my next personal build. and yes it will be in primer.
Sounds great BC. Besides primer, what other ideas do you have? tires wheel combos etc.??
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
benT
1st Gear Member
 
benT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock View Post
Also, Ben, I was wondering if I could have an intake drop shipped from Summit to your Dad's place to get some coating done?

Steve
Absolutely. This happens quite often with headers and such. What coating were you thinking - Ceramic or powdercoating? Shoot me a PM or email...
__________________
BenT
benT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
B.C.
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mountain Home AR.
Posts: 714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock View Post
Sounds great BC. Besides primer, what other ideas do you have? tires wheel combos etc.??
The only thing I'm thinking is how much fun I'm going to have driving it around at the Bash. I think I'll go with a yuppie ratrod look. Click the link to see what a yuppie is and then when the Bucket is done we can have a vote to see if I hit the look
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #16
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
The only thing I'm thinking is how much fun I'm going to have driving it around at the Bash. I think I'll go with a yuppie ratrod look. Click the link to see what a yuppie is and then when the Bucket is done we can have a vote to see if I hit the look
LOL, yuppie??? I live near Yuppie Headquarters: Seattle WA. Remember where the Starbucks craze all started from? BTW, Ratrods are the hit around here, you can't even get in a Ratrod shownshine if you have any chrome showing on your car. They are interesting vehicles to say the least--- quite a cult following.
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #17
deckofficer
4th Gear Member
 
deckofficer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Age: 65
Posts: 291
Default

The PNW is also a hot bed for electric vehicles.
__________________
Bob

1790 lbs 526 hp @ 5700 556 lb/ft @ 4400
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #18
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The PNW is also a hot bed for electric vehicles.
Yup they are here, but not to my liking. My mission is to burn as much fossil fuel as possible before I check off this earth. I love the smell of unburned hydrocarbons in the morning
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #19
deckofficer
4th Gear Member
 
deckofficer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern and Southern California
Age: 65
Posts: 291
Default

You would of loved my Hemi V-drive flattie early morning for a ski outing. Stacks are dry for the first start up out of gear. Friends are loading the boat while I warmed up the engine. For departure, stop engine, put it in gear and restart in gear.
__________________
Bob

1790 lbs 526 hp @ 5700 556 lb/ft @ 4400
http://tbuckets.lefora.com/
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
sstock
3rd Gear Member
 
sstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 60
Posts: 218
Default

Update, OK it has been a few weeks, heard today that the kit will ship next Wednesday. Looks like I better head out to the garage this weekend and make some build room for the new project. Lee I hope to have mine on the road prepaint by July. The plan is to drive it all summer put a few thousand miles on her then tear it apart for paint and coating and finishing touches over the next winter, be styling and profiling at the bash in 2012.
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
Billhewitt
1st Gear Member
 
Billhewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
Default My plans exactly sstock

SSTOCK;

My plans exactly. My should also be arriving at anytime, at least I hope. I have not heard officially yet though. I have this big whiteboard in the garage with my build schedule and it calls for me to be done by July 15th. Then drive it for a few months, then tear it down and paint in the late fall. Put it back together over the winter and be ready to drive on the first warm spring day. Then make the trek down to BASH 2012, see you there.

Have the 350 all decked out in chrome. That edelbrock endurashine is some good stuff. All I have left is to put a new oil pump and pickup on and put the oil pan on. Then take it off the engine stand, put the flex plate on and merry it up to the transmission, ready to install in the bucket.

Good times ahead!!!
Billhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.