Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > General Discussion
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
23Paddywagon
1st Gear Member

Default chassis too low

How critical is the engine being level to the ground?
I have a problem with my vega steering unit being only 2 inches from the ground. My transmission is about the same height off the ground.
Scary!!!
My Paddywagon (bobspaddywagon.net) is very close to the Tom Daniel model from the '70s. That means the chassis comes back from the front axle and where it meets the firewall the chassis angles up to the back.
As it is now the front chassis bottom is 10" from the ground; where the chassis angles up (at the firewall) it is 8" from the ground; at the rear it is 24.5" from the ground.
I have jacked up the rear to where it is 29.5" from the ground; at the angle it is 13" and at the front it is 15". To do this I must install a higher leaf spring or add spacers at that point and in the rear create something to raise the length of the shocks.
I have also thought of installing air shocks to raise the chassis.
Thus the first question, keeping the engine the necessary level.
Any ideas on how to accomplish this will be appreciated.
Bob
Trust in the Lord....
23Paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
B.C.
Super Moderator

The motor general tilts back 3% and the carb is level on the intake. I don't know the max the carb can be off level and still perform properly.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
23Paddywagon
1st Gear Member

Thanks BC.
Trust in the Lord....
23Paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
INDIAN OUTLAW
2nd Gear Member

Bob
3 degrees is the sweet spot but i have seen 6 degrees with no drive train issues.
as far as the max you can go depends on the carb design. talk to a tech from your carb manufacturer he should be able to tell you. holley used to make a off road carb that would peform at some realy extreme angles.you may be able to retro fit your carb.
INDIAN OUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
B.C.
Super Moderator

We started working on a Patty Wagon project with Wesie's Customs from Camp Verde, AZ with none other than Tom Danial. They wanted to make a copy of the model and that is a tough build because it was never meant to drive. I just looked at there website and did not see anything about it. It was a long time ago and we got out early so I don't know if it ever happened but you may want to call them and pick there brains. I did go out to there shop and it looked like they knew what they were doing.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
T=Test
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
We started working on a Patty Wagon project with Wesie's Customs from Camp Verde, AZ with none other than Tom Danial. They wanted to make a copy of the model and that is a tough build because it was never meant to drive. I just looked at there website and did not see anything about it. It was a long time ago and we got out early so I don't know if it ever happened but you may want to call them and pick there brains. I did go out to there shop and it looked like they knew what they were doing.
I still have a model of the Paddy Wagon that I've had for 30 years--never put it together. LOL