Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > Customer Car Builds
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Ok found out that the "S" in the one pair of radius rods is to help with flexing of the rear and the "S" sits so far back on the radius rod you wouldn't even see them anyways.
Mikes27T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #32
mustang
1st Gear Member

The one with the "S" goes to the rear, the "S" would interfear with the tie rod if you put it on the front.

Be carefull with that open flame heater when doing body work, dust can be very combustable.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #33
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Well putting the front end together isn't going so well. Looks like the Drivers side bracket that's welded on to the axle is angled in more than the pass side. Things look off and don't want to line up. The shackle bolts on the pass side come in contact with the axle but the drivers side shackle bolts clear with plenty of room. The drivers side rear radius rod doesn't want to mount to the outside of the frame bracket. Am I doing something wrong or are things out of whack? I've never put together a suspension like this.

Pass side shackle

Drivers side shackle

pass side axle bracket

Drivers side axle bracket hard to tell from the picture but it is angled in more than the pass side.
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #34
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Mike it looks like you have the wrong front shackle too. I think your shock will have a clearance problem with that one, it did for me. CCR has the correct one too. Study this pic and you will see the difference

The one in the middle is the shackle you need, you have the shackle on the left.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut

Last edited by sstock; 12-29-2011 at 02:54 AM..
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #35
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock View Post
Mike it looks like you have the wrong front shackle too. I think your shock will have a clearance problem with that one, it did for me. CCR has the correct one too. Study this pic and you will see the difference

The one in the middle is the shackle you need, you have the shackle on the left.

Thanks Steve! Yep there is no way to mount the shock with that bracket. The spring is in the way. I think the axle brackets are off also. Going to try calling spirit to let them know.
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #36
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Just got off the phone with Josh and B.C and they are going to take care of everything. They are going to replace the front axle and the shackle's. Spirit is the best! Thanks guys!
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #37
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Great. You gotta love Spirit Industries.
Also, you will need to trim the bolts a little so they don't contact and scratch the front axle before you get it painted-the shackle needs to move without touching the axle.
Happy New Year,
Steve
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Unread 12-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #38
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Rear end is mocked up! Everything still needs to be adjusted and centered but it's all together.

Unread 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #39
the bat
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

I would of assambled it with all the bolts facing going to rear,not front,by putting spring hanger and shackle together before ya add to axle= looks better with nuts in rear and has more clear movement,that dosen't fix tabs on axle but dose look nicer and will move better for next time ya put it together. That is as long as it clears tie rod too ?.
Just ideas for ya.
the bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #40
sstock
3rd Gear Member

It would be nice to do it that way Bat, but the tie rod will for sure hit the bolt ends when you turn the steering wheel more than one turn, just not a lot of clearance that way with these suspension components.
Maybe, if one places the tie rod in front of the axle then but I don't know what it would do to the Ackerman, plus it looks like it would then need a longer tie rod too.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #41
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Got the new axle spirit replaced for me and the new one is perfect. Fixed the clearence issues I was having. Now I'm having trouble with the front shock setup. Upper mount that was included with the kit was clearly not meant for this chassis and they are huge compared to the shocks. Even with the shocks extened out all the way there's no way it will work. The bolt that's welded to the to of the mount is way to big and long to go through the bushing on the shock. Got the correct CCR lower shock shackle mounts and the shocks interfere with the spring and spring pivot. I know that this is just part of building a car like this and your going to run into problems and I know it will get worked out. Here are some pictures. First couple are of the upper shock mounts and the rest are just how far I've come with the build.

Unread 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #42
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Mike I sent you a PM. on the spring/shackle clearance problem you re having. I'm running a reverse eye spring which makes the difference and gives the needed clearance. Also, the shock brackets you have are not like mine, those things are huge
Here is a pic of mine, I bolted them to the frame with 4ea 5/16" fine thread grade 8 bolts--2 on top and to on the side of the bracket.
Hope this helps

Did you tell Josh that these are the Lee from KC design brackets??

Reverse spring eye:
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #43
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Just looking at your pictures I can tell that a reverse eye spring will definitly fix my clearence issues. I don't know if Josh or BC reads these posts but I shure wish they would. I'm new to this so I didn't know to tell them about the Lee from KC design brackets .
Unread 01-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #44
Lee in KC
2nd Gear Member

Mike, those brackets look like they have the tube welded on the wrong end!! Those are just flat weird lookin'!
Lee in KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #45
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in KC View Post
Mike, those brackets look like they have the tube welded on the wrong end!! Those are just flat weird lookin'!
It's not even just that it's the bolt that's welded in there is way to long and thick for the eyelet of the shock. The front spring is also wrong and won't clear the shock on the lower end either. I need the reverse eye leaf spring.
Unread 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #46
B.C.
Super Moderator

I have a team reviewing the post here and reading the dialogues. I have the pattern in my hand as I am typing this. It appears the bolt was welded on the wrong end and the shock that we setup was 5 inches taller. Cutting down the pattern now and making new parts this afternoon. We will get them out tomorrow. Not sure on the reverse eye spring and will get with Josh this afternoon and we will get the parts needed to make it work. I am sorry for the problem.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #47
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Mocking up the front spindles and brake's and I have a question. I'm putting on the brake rotors and my question is do I have to grease the wheel bearings? I'm just mocking things up right now and I also want to be able to move the car around in the garage. I just figured since it has to all come back apart for paint that it would be silly to grease them. But it could be a while before it's taken back apart for paint.
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #48
sstock
3rd Gear Member

I went ahead and greased mine Mike, even though it is coming apart, it is a pretty easy cleanup when the time comes. I just didn't like the idea of a dry bearing on the race, probably wouldn't of hurt anything but that is just me.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #49
T=Test
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes27T View Post
Mocking up the front spindles and brake's and I have a question. I'm putting on the brake rotors and my question is do I have to grease the wheel bearings? I'm just mocking things up right now and I also want to be able to move the car around in the garage. I just figured since it has to all come back apart for paint that it would be silly to grease them. But it could be a while before it's taken back apart for paint.
Just use motor oil or WD40 so they won't score the rollers or races. Cleanup with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, then pack properly.
Unread 01-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #50
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for your help guys! I ended up using grease on the bearings as I'm not sure how long the car will be at this stage. Not much else new. Still waiting on the spring and shock mounts but I'm sure they will get here.
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #51
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Did the rear disk conversion on the 27 this past weekend. Just mocking things up. Still have to do the rear seals, bearings, gears, differential, and paint. Here are some pictures.

Unread 02-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #52
Hulkamania
Administrator

Mike....thanks for the pictures. Frame is looking good. Disc brakes look good.
Hulkamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #53
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamania View Post
Mike....thanks for the pictures. Frame is looking good. Disc brakes look good.
Thanks!
Unread 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #54
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

She's on wheels! Well for a couple minutes it was. Body/ wheels are already back off. Had to get a feel what's she was going to look like. Here's a couple pictures. Starting on the brake lines now along with mounting the upper front shock mounts and shocks.

Unread 02-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #55
Hulkamania
Administrator

mike you need to get your wife to drive the 4 wheeler and pull you around the block and you can make vroom vroom noises. LOL! THanks for the pictures.
Hulkamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #56
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamania View Post
mike you need to get your wife to drive the 4 wheeler and pull you around the block and you can make vroom vroom noises. LOL! THanks for the pictures.
I tried but she said NOOO!!!! LOL
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #57
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Some more work got done tonight. Got the top bolts for the shock mounts drilled and tapped. Just need to do the bolts on the side of each brackets and they are done.

Last edited by Mikes27T; 02-23-2012 at 11:02 PM..
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #58
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Finished mocking up the upper shock mounts and shocks. All holes are drilled and tapped. Just have to clean up the brackets a little by rounding the edges and corners.

Unread 03-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #59
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Picked the engine up from the machine shop today!! Waiting on the heads and a few other goodies then I'll get it finished up.

Unread 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #60
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Fantastic looking Mike, keep the build going.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut