Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > A+ Tech
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Default Help with warp in fiberglass

I know B.C. will know the answer to this question. The header above the windshield has a 1/2 outward bow, from each side, and maxing out in the center. No way a windshield will work that way. I put a 1" x 2" steel tube on the backside, and drew it straight with C clamps. Now, the question...If this area is warmed with a heat gun, will it hold the straight line after cooling?
The other option would be to cut that header out, and have a new piece made to replace it. Really don't want to do that. I can't reinforce that area with heavy enough metal, because of wiper motors and the console that contains all the electrics for the car.
Oh ya, this is on the sedan delivery. Also, Bob, do you have a pattern for the windshield?
Thanks, Lee
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
old round fart
2nd Gear Member

Lee, can you attach the bowed piece to the floor of the console? Push it straight from the outside and look at what you have. John

ps. Getting close to posting door stuff!
old round fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

John, the console mounts won't be (can't be) strong enough to hold the glass back. It will take something pretty strong to hold the warp if I can't manage to move it back some with heat. If I had a 1/4" piece of square stock titainium about 42 inches long, I think it would work.
Your idea does give me a couple more ideas, using your basic thought on this.
Thanks, Lee
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Lee I would call B.C. if you haven't already. He may not see this post especially with all the spam they are dealing with.
Mikes27T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
old round fart
2nd Gear Member

Does the A model have a windshield frame? Remember the console floor will be in shear to hold the bow so it doesn't need to be very thick, just wide.
old round fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Problem solved! I made straight line close to the top as possible. Used the die grinder with cut off blade to cut a line from post to post. Clamped an angle in the windshield recess to hold it straight. Tomorrow I will glass the relief slot soild and all will be healed. I think now I can hinge the console to swing down for acess to the wiriing area.
John, the windshield on the Spirit bodies does not use a frame. It is sealed in like the modern day cars. I have been thinking about having a frame lasered out, just to glue to the outside of the windshield.
Lee
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
B.C.
Super Moderator

Lee we have the phones and computers up at the new facility now. We are building a sedan right now and I will look at the windshield to see the problem. It sounds like your have the right solution. To make a pattern I would just tape some paper over the opening and trim it out then use that as a template to put on some cardboard the cardboard will hold it's shape to make sure you have a good fit. Also body side molding makes good window trim. just make sure your corner cuts are a nice fit and we have had no problems with the double sided tape on the molding holding it on.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
3quarter32
4th Gear Member

Hey Bob, What it looks like to me....the header was just glassed in that way or probably moved before it set up. Really was simple to repair, once the right idea hit me. Only took a couple of minutes to cut away, and you know how long it takes to do the patch work. Haha, was hoping you had a pattern. I have some great pattern material. 1/4 styrofoam with light card board on each side. I get it from Wally World when they make display changes.
See you in September, Lee