Buckethead Bash Forums  

Go Back   Buckethead Bash Forums > Bucket Stuff > T-Bucket Tech
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Default Steering column mounting in Spirit T buckets.

I'm about ready to mock up my steering column in my 27 and I have a couple questions for spirit. Found a couple pictures Josh posted on another T bucket website of how spirit mounts their steering columns and I was wondering if you guys still use this setup in your turnkeys? How well does this setup hold up when using one bolt through the dash to hold everything up? What other methods do you use on the cars you build? Can you post some pictures? Just trying to get some idea's. I don't mind having the bolts through the dash especially if stainless or chrome button head hardware is used but I do like the clean look of not having them on the dash.

Thanks

Mikes27T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
B.C.
Super Moderator

We still use the same set up and have not had any problems.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
We still use the same set up and have not had any problems.
Thanks for the reply BC! Can you tell me what size bolt you use on the one that goes through the dash?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
B.C.
Super Moderator

1/4 20 button head
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Mike,
I chose to not look at a screw through the dash for a couple reasons. I laid up a piece of 5/8" plywood on the back of the drivers side of the dash, before glassing it in, I drilled and placed a couple of blind bolts on the backside of the plywood, so that after I glassed the plywood in I would have two 1/4" studs to attach an 1" by 1" alluminum angle bracket -which receives the column drop. The reason I did this was I wanted a dash with nothing on it except gauges a light switch and keyless ignition button.

Secondly, I bought the Spirit 23 extended body and it required a column drop to get my steering column where I wanted it for most comfort/ingress egress.
And finally, I found out the third reason which I didn't even consider at the time, and most important, is it gives a strong mount for the column incase someone happens to lean on the steering wheel to get out of the bucket. My daughter and soninlaw were married this last July, and the car was used in the wedding. About two weeks after the wedding I saw a video of a fairly large person sitting in my car. She was obviously enjoying it and when it came time to get out of the car she used the steering wheel to pull herself up and out. Well you can imagine what a 1/4" button head screw would of done if I would of went that route. Not saying that it won't work but I'm glad I didn't go that route now. The sterring wheel has a real solid feel to it also, when you hang those quick turns at low speed.
Steve
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
sstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Ok I'd like to mount it like you did Steve but I've never glassed anything in before. Whats the process for glassing the plywood to the back of the dash? What meterials do I need to buy? I was thinking I would use a strong adhesive to glue the plywood to the dash and then glass it in. I have the 5/8" plywood, blind nuts and the 1" by 1" already.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
B.C.
Super Moderator

There are some very good glues on the market I think that is the direction I would go.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
There are some very good glues on the market I think that is the direction I would go.
Can you suggest a good one B.C.? I know they make some pretty strong adhesives for putting quarter panels on instead of welding.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

After doing some research and talking with 3M I'm going to go with the 3M Pn 8115 panel adhesive. It has a sheer strenth of 4000psi so it should be more than enough to support the mount and steering column. I may even go as far as glassing the mount in also just for added strength.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
dangileri
2nd Gear Member

Mike - my son and I took a section of angle iron from a bed frame - cut it longer than the width of the dash, notched it to follow the contour of the dash and then tack welded the notches to keep the shape. Then we epoxied it with an industrial epoxy to the back of the dash - (used cheap rubber coated clamps every few inches until it set). Tt followed the shape nicely, is real secure and can't be seen unless you look underneath. We then epoxied in a straight section against the firewall. When they both set, we bought some flat stock and cut a few sections to sit between the two (sort of made a cage for supporting the dash). Attached those with self tapping screws.

When done, we had a solid mount for the column and the dash was secure with no shake/rattle when the motor is running. Plus it gave us a mounting area for the fuse box and we ran the dash ground wires to it - then ran a ground wire from it to the frame.

Dave
dangileri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangileri View Post
Mike - my son and I took a section of angle iron from a bed frame - cut it longer than the width of the dash, notched it to follow the contour of the dash and then tack welded the notches to keep the shape. Then we epoxied it with an industrial epoxy to the back of the dash - (used cheap rubber coated clamps every few inches until it set). Tt followed the shape nicely, is real secure and can't be seen unless you look underneath. We then epoxied in a straight section against the firewall. When they both set, we bought some flat stock and cut a few sections to sit between the two (sort of made a cage for supporting the dash). Attached those with self tapping screws.

When done, we had a solid mount for the column and the dash was secure with no shake/rattle when the motor is running. Plus it gave us a mounting area for the fuse box and we ran the dash ground wires to it - then ran a ground wire from it to the frame.

Dave
That also sounds like a great idea. Thanks for posting. Do you have any pictures of under the dash?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
dangileri
2nd Gear Member

I'll take some this weekend and will post.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
B.C.
Super Moderator

I don't want to recomend one and have it fail on you. We use this green gray looking stuff that comes in a 5 gal pale Ashland may be the manufacture but I think they got bought out.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
dangileri
2nd Gear Member

Mike - I always used PC 7, however a local hardware store talked me into using Propoxy20. I used it 2 months ago to epoxy in the support structure - so far it has not given me a problem and appears to be holding well. (I sure hope it holds up... )

I'll get some picks this weekend and will post Sunday night.

Dave
Old 10-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

I decided to go with Liquid Nails Part# LN-901. I couldn't get the 3M adhesive local and after talking with some people and the company who makes liquid nails I think it's going to be plenty strong plus I will also be glassing in the plywood mount after the adhesive fully cures. Should be a solid mount for the steering column.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Mike, I wasn't happy with liquid nails, couldn't get it to setup well.I used Bondo brand long hair glass, set up like ironl.
Make sure you scratch up the back of the dash with some 80 grit.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock View Post
Mike, I wasn't happy with liquid nails, couldn't get it to setup well.I used Bondo brand long hair glass, set up like ironl.
Make sure you scratch up the back of the dash with some 80 grit.
Thanks Steve, Yes I got the bondo brand Resin and the bondo long hair glass which I plan to use after I glue the plywood on. So you were going to use the liquid nails to bond the plywood to the dash also? What did you do when the liquid nails wouldn't set up? Did you use another glue or just glass it in?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Drilled some holes in the plywood and just glassed it in. Decided to look under the dash yesterday to see how it is all doing, solid as a rock , got 2000 miles on her too, so if there was going to be a problem, I think I would of saw it by now.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Mikes27T
3rd Gear Member

I ended up using the Liquid nails and it set up rock solid. I then glassed the mount in. I think it turned out great and should be a solid mount. For some reason my camera isn't working good right now but I'll post pictures when I figure out what's wrong with it.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
sstock
3rd Gear Member

Glad it worked out for you.
Gallery4
Tbucketnut
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
dangileri
2nd Gear Member

Glad it worked for you Mike - I did not get a chance to take photos of mine yet (sorry).